Thursday, January 24, 2019

Open Mic Strategies

I hired a chick to manage my throat,
clear out the traffic, search bags, correct the syntax.

I keep all I have to say in an Altoids tin--
I rattle it.
Dark-eyed Juncos desert the barista's hair. 

I worked on my voice for all these years,
with a straight job on the side--
now I keep it tucked in my boot, kissing leather. 

I hired a chick to sleep on my lips,
reclining like a bad-ass movie star.
Every time I lick my teeth the sun comes up,

a poppy in my coffee, black.
_______ 

another one, for this.

 

16 comments:

  1. Okay Then! {Hawaii Pidgin: Kay Den!}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love me some pidgin. ;-) i practice in the meer.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love this!!! You got me from the opening line. Damn, I'm jealous. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did I make you a little bit jelly Susie? Hehe. Turnabout is fair play!

      Delete
  3. how come you don't have a "mega like" button somewhere here?? so we can all just pound the crap outta our keyboards and short-circuit things ... hmmm ... ? just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Button button, who's got the button? I think Canada's got it. RRRRRoll up the rrrrim to find it. :-P

      Delete
  4. So hot and delicious --- and creamy as hell, like my coffee.

    This is what I'm listening to, by the way. Goes well with your girls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEZs5Fmfk4o

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew I was doing it all wrong... I need a strategy like that

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coffe in my cream, ravens in my coffee. My yes. oh fren. this staggers the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to hear this spoken out loud!! Sheer brilliance Shay! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got the muses snapping their fingers and pounding black-eye.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The final image is an excellent coup de grace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love hearing you read your poems - Voice Record app to SoundCloud. Just sayin'... :)

    ReplyDelete

don't be stupid.