Sunday, April 28, 2019

You Like My Smile

You like my smile, I can tell
by the gliding bird your body becomes when you see it.
It's for real, but laying low behind it
is the goodbye hiding under my tongue for later.

I am a woman always quarreling with clocks--
they show too early or too late to suit me.
Mornings, I ache for the drowse and lamplight of evening.
Evenings, I wish the sun were just rising, nothing decided, everything unspoken.

Here is my smile, here is my heart.
Here is the sun, the moon, the mail, the years.
It's for real, but laying low behind it
is the goodbye I hide that will break our hearts, 
there from the beginning, the taint behind the smile you love. 
________

for this.

8 comments:

  1. but laying low behind it
    is the goodbye I hide that will break our hearts... Sigh. I wondered sometimes how many hearts I would break. And how many would break my heart. Excellent write Shay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did most of the breaking when I was young. Later in life karma kicked my butt a bit. Ah well.

      Delete
  2. So sad, Shay . . . brought a little tear to my eye . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. The goodbye girl always breaks hearts but it is her own that breaks in the end. I love the reference to clocks and wanting that cannot be fulfilled. You have such an amazing talent for saying what others cannot part in the substance of your poetry and delicate brilliance for what you leave out. I love that about your poetry Shay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your opening couplet. just, damn ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful write, You never know what's lurking behind those smiles. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart was broken a couple of times because of love (romantic). It is the other broken heart moments that crush. Oh, I wish we could know sooner we saw goodbye at hello.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are many kinds of smiles. "laying low behind it is the good-bye I hide that will break our hearts"

    ReplyDelete

don't be stupid.