Saturday, June 15, 2019

Single Lady With A Cat

Oscar says
I should sniff at your kindness as if it were a little tainted.
When you want me,
I should proceed in silent circles;
a tide ruled by an odd moon whose attention wanders.

Oscar knows
that disappointment is the only reward for his counsel.
I accept your kisses and crumbs 
as if they were riches and rings
despite Oscar's disapproval and destruction of my things.

I have had Oscar from a kitten,
ever advising me to hide my heart and hold out for better.
Oscar is vocal--he tries and tries.
But what does Oscar know?
He has always been loved.
_______ 

for this.

 
 

15 comments:

  1. "....a tide ruled by an odd moon whose attention wanders....." How perfect is that?! Oscar, always loved, is not the best expert on the inadequacies of human-to-human loving, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our pets bring us comfort, it's great Oscar's always been loved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The imagery of an odd moon, the destruction of things but the consistent love...this just caught my feelings unawares.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Oscar has akways been loved. And I sense he has taught the human to love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so nice to know that you and Oscar have such a happy relationship~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like Oscar wants her all to his self. Gotta love all the Oscars they know true charm and subtle playing hard to get. 🐱

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...he has always been loved. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful words! But methinks Oscar is being possessive. (Trust me, I'm part cat.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh the danger in not taking the advice of a cat... Love it! Oscar doesn't like to share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The opening stanza sets the tone for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a deceptively simple poem. It seems to make a wry point about life and love, but every couplet has a slight twist to it that pushes one deeper, into that dark basement where the heart keeps its secrets.. I especially like that you use a cat as your agent, when you are such a dog person--and yet the fit of the metaphor is perfect. Perhaps the dog persona enters a bit into my favorite lines: "...I accept your kisses and crumbs/as if they were riches and rings.." How we always want what we don't have...and how too often we are willing to settle for far less than we deserve. A fine little mind-bender here Shay.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oscar is cool, and obviously well loved.

    ReplyDelete

don't be stupid.