Sunday, September 30, 2018

Matters Of Convenience

"gravity
I'm telling you where it is
gravity"

--Rickie Lee Jones

Gravity as a matter of convenience
forestalls random movement, chaos.
Gravity keeps your nerd glasses (which I love) on your face
unless I reach out with light fingertips
to replace them
with my lips.

Gravity and emotion intersect at inconstancy.
If you need magnet boots to keep you here,
go barefoot. There's the door.
If I need the sound of your voice to weaken my knees,
I'm listening. There's the sky.

Gravity. Tides. The moon.
Space chatter.
Mass. Density. Orbits.
All these are matters of convenience
forestalling tomorrow when you might not be here,
or you are, but someone else appears as well.
"Where are you? you ask,
amused at my occasional departures.
"Right here," I say, feeling the spin of us, the earth, everything,
and gravity keeping us steady
from one moment into the next, like gyroscopes.
_________

for this.

8 comments:

  1. Excellent way to spin the dance of a relationship in terms of gravity... no magnetic boots required..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping you both grounded..love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gravity keeping us steady from one moment into the next, like gyroscopes...Gravity keeps your nerd glasses (which I love) on your face.
    The key to a relationship is the gravity...the solemnity of it. Our relationships are spun in a dance and around and around. If you need gravity boots, the door is there. I like this spin on gravity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well this post has put us in our place much like gravity of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Celestial bodies bending light with a kiss ... how convenient ... rules of attraction and resistance too, chancy stuff, and raw, for no one hear's one scream in space. Love is a fourth dimension, "forestalling tomorrow when you might not be here." And none of it acceptable to the heart. Ground control to guitar strum ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! I love the advice about magnet boots and the door, and especially "If I need the sound of your voice to weaken my knees, I'm listening. There's the sky." Fantastic take on gravity, us all spinning like gyroscopes. Just so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so perfect.. every line shimmers with word-emotion.. if there is such a thing (maybe you invented it).

    ReplyDelete

don't be stupid.