Saturday, August 25, 2018

Dogs

Sunday with my father, watching the rain drip down from the overhang,
game 4, 1968 World Series, Tiger Stadium, Detroit. A dog for each of us.

With Dad at Tiger Stadium again, I lost sight of Reggie's home run off the light tower.
1971 All-Star game. Stood up but looked down to make sure I didn't drop my dog.

Took the blue Air Force bus from the base to see Reitzy, Keith, Simba and the rest.
Busch Stadium, 1977. Was wishing I had a Tiger Stadium dog from home.

New York scored 10 runs in the top of the first. My friends and I laughing and talking around mouthfuls of dog, using the hand-outs as napkins. Beat The Yankees Hanky Night, Arlington Stadium, Texas, 1980.

Just me and a dog, way up in the nosebleeds by myself on a weekday afternoon.
Tigers vs. Seattle Mariners, Comerica Park, Detroit, 2003.

A real crew of us, the men debating strategy, us women people-watching, getting half a dozen dogs from the vendor. Pass 'em down the row!
Tigers vs. Texas Rangers, Comerica Park, Detroit, 2006.

Baseball. Dogs. Joy.
_______

for this.


8 comments:

  1. I love it. Baseball and stadium hotdogs. The best.day.ever. I loved it when Papa would take me to the Durham Bulldogs (Remember Bull Durham?) and get me a hot dog with mustard, a bag of warm roasted peanuts, and a coke. You brought up some good memories here Shay. I love stadium food. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a feel-good poem. I love it --- especially because joy has the last word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, love that joy has the last word. Such wonderful memories, these. A delight to read. When I first read "a dog for eacg of us", of course I pictured real ones and thought, "Cooooooool!" Then figured out they were hot dogs. LOL. Made me actually crave one. This was wonderful to read and envision. Wonderful to have memories of times like that with your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you've drawn me into a world I can only imagine, Shay, and enjoyed the details of the rain dripping down from the overhang and mouthfuls of different hot dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore ADORE this poem. You took us on a sentimental journey with your "dog"... I read this last Friday and it has stuck with me. Almost didn't write to the prompt as I wanted to write one as stellar. I did write, and it isn't as stellar... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gotta go to a Giants day game before October! I'll sit with Jim and with Dad and Billy. . . . . though they are far, far beyond. . . .
    I love your work. And You. Shay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course you stirred up all of my baseball emotion, hotdogs the best during a game, especially with your Dad! The Cards are hanging in there, tough season for your Tigers.

    ReplyDelete

don't be stupid.