Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Fever

The day was struck with fever.
There were no nurses.
Sidewalks were poured by crews
working with concrete, confabulation, and implied threat.

Down each remembered hallway stood a constable.
The day weaved on its feet.
Children brought the sun in a wagon,
and all things answered to a nearby cat with yellow eyes.

A woman with red hair tried to bandage the scent of autumn.
A military band dispersed.
"Sell me your fever," I said to the day, the fading day,
imagining myself with it under my arm in a box,

like a pet, or an extra head, a gift for the indifferent storekeepers.
_______


3 comments:

  1. Oh, this fever packaged and presented in this manner is a product of both deep anguish and intimacy — the "implied threat" made me ponder over this setting, and all things answered in the cat with yellow eyes only makes it more bewitching.
    I loved this bit: "A woman with red hair tried to bandage the scent of autumn."
    I am feeling the seasonal drift and the warmth's last gripping touch in your words.
    -HA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Children brought the sun in a wagon,

    A woman with red hair tried to bandage the scent of autumn.

    I really love these lines, for their clarity and impact, and placement.
    And the closing is equally interesting and speaks with a particular voice, one of both anguish and desperation, it seems to me.

    I read this as a scene, a vignette - and just like it for it's interest as it is. The contrast of inside/outside - of swipes of life that seem to contradict and intersect.

    And if there is something more to this? I'm not sure can tease it out. But I like it just as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The surrealism of fever... that cat with yellow eyes makes me think of Bulgakov... we all dance with the devil

    ReplyDelete

don't be stupid.