Saturday, March 16, 2019

Song Of A Little Birdy

A little birdy told me
what you never would.
We breathe free, my birdy and me
with our puffball lungs and our
rib cages light as the pages
of a blank bible.

I'm up here now,
don't bother to come around.
Sell our house, use the proceeds
to buy a dead garland for the setting sun.
Birdy says things, terrible things
I hold in my beak like babies. 

Didn't I tell you? I'm an aviary
with a song for myself each season.
When the sky turns blowy gray,
we are prone to lose our reason
and build a briar nest inside your ear, 
then we sing the bees in.
_______

for this.


7 comments:

  1. This birdie sings it like it is. Sometimes the truth hurts, but somebody has to tell it. That first stanza is glorious Shay!! I love the raw honesty in this...it both hurts and pleases all at the same time. Beautiful as always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sure fires up the imagination.
    Read it three times and loved it more each time I read it . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Goodness. This poem. She holds words in her beak like babies. Gah! How do you DO IT?!!! I so love every perfect word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this blew me away. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I speak to the birdies of my garden all the time

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your birdie doesn't sugar coat..Love it!

    ReplyDelete

don't be stupid.