Sunday, May 12, 2019

Mother's Day

I can't be bothered 
to birth this child
who howls and scratches all night long.

I can't be bothered
to take these pills
that do me no good and make it worse. 

My mouth says words learned by rote
to scatter like mothballs for smile-beaked neighbors.
Mail me cards of flowery joy
to instruct me how to masquerade.

I can't be bothered
to birth this child
who howls and scratches all night long.

I can't be calmed
from nervous disgust
at this body in mine, who will unmask me, given time.
_______

for this.

How Being Raised By A Narcissist Damages Your Life
 

 

6 comments:

  1. Yes. I agree with the label following your poem. How difficult to be in such an unwelcoming environment. I can feel the narrator's revulsion, and feel horrible for the baby, who hopefully escaped at the earliest possible moment. Powerful stuff. This day must be a hard one for you, my friend. Thank God for dogs, who love and heal us. I miss mine. There is no hug better than a dog hug. Steph cam up-Island with two of my granddogs, so this is a good weekend for me. One is a rescue from California. Her life has been hard and she walks the beach with a big, happy, shit-eating grin. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can feel the bitterness in this. After all, it was all about her, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a biting commentary on how many wish to be separate people with only their own thoughts to haunt them. Just my view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Children eventually see them for what they are but that is such a sad journy!! A mother with such issues or madness may be a better term, can naver be a true mother. A true mother is a giver nurturer and encourager! I hope the universe in some way has given you other mothers in one form or another. 💞🌷

    ReplyDelete
  5. A resounding argument for tubal ligation and vasectomy - birth control of some sort Shay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Children do bring about change, but it is unknown to some parents. Words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete

don't be stupid.