Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Do What You Can, Not What You Can't

 

Do what you can, not what you can't
said the woman holding my hand
when I was sick and shaking from withdrawal.
You can do one hour. One minute. 
Don't worry about your whole life tonight.

Do what you can, not what you can't
said the man with the age in his eyes
when I was carrying duty like a cross.
How do you know God wants you to stay married?
Listen to your heart and you'll have your answer.

Do what you can, not what you can't
said the woman with the side shave
when I finally fell in love for real, and with a woman.
It'll be all right, Pookie, she said. Maybe
she'll dig you. But first, dig yourself.

Do what you can, not what you can't
I said to the girl who thought I was somebody wise
after her dad threw her out; after some punks beat her up.
I told her she had shine, never think otherwise
even when the world tries to keep you in a boy-cage.

Do what you can, not what you can't
I say to myself as the years catch up
and I can't rake the yard without a dozen breaks.
I have tamed no tigers but became one myself
Quietly, while drinking coffee, while writing this poem. 
________




for Queen Cool Dora over at Dverse. She wants maxims, bromides, mantras, mottos. :-)

Music: David Mullen Alone, my personal anthem




8 comments:

  1. I can't say too much about how much I love this poem and I can't say enough, so I'll do what I can and say, "This beats all, girl" for beauty in simplicity, wisdom in sincerity, and a banger of an ending where I could honestly hear the roar of a poet coming into her own. At last.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every word hard-won wisdom. I love how circular life is, people sharing life wisdom with us, us passing it along later. I LOVE the closing lines especially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this poem, Shay, and will take the mantra with me. I especially love these lines:
    ‘I have tamed no tigers but became one myself
    Quietly, while drinking coffee, while writing this poem.’

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can do is exhale ... slowly. Thank you for writing this, for such honesty. Finding ourselves no matter when/how .. the oh-so-often-painful journey is always always worth it. My poem was real and so is yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say this is one of your very best poem I have read, so very effective and so much to say about not just yourself but the world as it is. To do what we can - should be enough

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well written. I love your great ending lines!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is exquisitely drawn, Shay! The repetition of "Do what you can, not what you can't," is so moving for me as it portrays the wisdom behind the words. ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Comes across as heart felt and positively self affirming in all the good things that life has come your way. Love that last 2 lines - that you are Shay, smiles.

    ReplyDelete

don't be stupid.