Monday, April 8, 2019

Blue Horses.

Blue horses came out of the sea last night.
Their hooves made shapes in the sand which spoke 
in Arabian symbols and scents.
They wandered into town on the
cobbled streets and stood
under lanterns lit by nuns made of fog.

You came close, then,
having approached for a million years.
You came close enough to dance
and we danced
like mayflies caught in a globe of disappearing dreams.

Blue horses came out of the sea last night,
muscular and graceful, uncaring
whether I loved you, though I did.
I have a refracted vase
where I saved what I saw in your eyes
that made me love you,
that made the sea roll sleepily
and the stars play wooden flutes, then go silent.

Blue horses came out of the sea last night, and though
it has happened often before,
we made them forget their way,
become lost,
and cry for the pastures they carry in their minds.
Forever now, we will follow their symbols and scents,
each of us separately,
blindly, carrying bridles we made from sand.
_____ 

for Day 8 and Sunday Muse #50.

 

12 comments:

  1. This speaks to me of freedom lost.....I love so many lines, each eloquent unique and so thought provoking that I am still envisioning the picture they paint in my mind! ....and yes, there is a sadness that comes with it, and it is a beautiful sadness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very moving and conveying much sadness. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Shay. This is spectacular. Such a beautiful sadness here. The third stanza makes me weep. The flutes going silent, like the heartbeat of a dead lover. I have read this poem three times and each time, the third stanza hits me hard, fren.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally in love with your blue horses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This might just be the most beautiful poem I have ever read. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bluetiful! I am in awe of your gift~

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is such beauty in this and yet the melancholy hits me right in the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the repetition and for some reason the use of the color blue really makes this into a fantastic dream-like scene.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The name of love, exquisitely carved from the manna of dream. Blue horses from the sea, nuns made of smoke, bridles conjured from sand, all of it weaves and dances as if that air was here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful and heartbreaking, especially the last stanza! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

don't be stupid.